The 5G network stands for the fifth generation of mobile networks or people understand that this is the fastest and most powerful networking platform we've ever seen.
Understand more simply, the 5G network is the 4G network serial technology that we are using every day. However, unlike from 3G to 4G, the transfer from 4G to 5G has a leap forward not only in speed but also in terms of technology and technology to be able to meet this network platform.
5G network and the future
Verizon CEO Hans Vestberg said: "In the future everything will be changed by the 5G network." This is also the judgment of many experts when it comes to 5G, especially last year at the launch of Qualcomm SnapDragon 855 chip, the company also confirmed that the built-in 5G network on this chip will make the phone stronger with online platforms with almost zero latency.
In theory, the speed of 5G network can be up to 10Gbp / s, which is 10 times the theoretical speed of 4G network. That is, with a 4K movie when downloading at 4G network takes about 6 minutes, the 5G network will only take 30 seconds to download it for you.
So does the phone model when transferring data at such a high speed have a hot phenomenon? The answer is no and even 5G is much cooler than 4G by reducing up to 90% of power consumption. This also helps improve your phone's battery life.
In the near future, particularly in early 2020, the world's largest carriers such as Verizon and AT&T are promising to start 5G coverage and put into commercial use.
Also in Vietnam, recently, on 10/05/2019, Viettel Group has made a 5G mobile network connection for the first time in our country and reached a speed of about 1.5-1.7Gbps. Quite low compared to the number in theory but still much faster than many existing mobile networks. We need to wait in the future when technology grows and the 5G network will spread and promote its full power.
Advantages and disadvantages compared to the current 4G network
- The speed is significantly faster and can be exploited in many areas of remote control, especially stream high quality content without interruption.
- Broader coverage than 4G networks by using aerial HAPS stations instead of ground broadcast stations. (HAPS stands for High Altitude Stratospheric Platform as flying devices that are suspended at a certain height and perform broadcast surcharges)
- Absolutely minimize disruption between devices.
- Save more power so it consumes less battery and leads to the device we use has a cooler temperature and longer battery life
- The wider and larger band range is in the range of 30GHz – 300GHz while the 4G network is only 6GHz
- However, the wider band, however, must use ultrasound to maintain such a high frequency, but the sound waves are cannot pass through walls or solid objects due to the measurement of HAPS flying devices must be arranged in a very reasonable manner.
- The cost of using it will be much more expensive than 4G because the infrastructure for deploying 5G network is very complicated. The cost of using the capacity is also larger and more expensive by the 5G network very quickly.
- Difficult to access especially for undeveloped countries. Currently 4G or even 3G networks are not really popular in many countries around the world.
Besides the disadvantages when compared to the current 4G network, there are still many challenges for the 5G network at the current stage.
Firstly, the number of telecom companies researching this technology is very limited so the monopoly of patenting or deploying 5G is an obstacle for many countries today. Typically, recently when the US government decided to ban a ban on Huawei, it is forecasted that the country will deploy a 5G network slower than the countries that cooperate with the Chinese carrier about half a year.
Despite standing in front of the US ban, Huawei still received 46 contracts to deploy 5G networks in 30 countries worldwide. This is also a big concern because when a company has control over the network infrastructure of too many countries, it will lead to the problem of user information security. Especially Chinese companies so far have been repeatedly accused of stealing user data and sent to this country.