A slight steering wheel will affect the accuracy, heavy can lead to many dangerous situations, so it should be handled as soon as possible.
Every car will have a certain level of wheel rim. However, if the wheel drive is greater than normal, it should be checked and adjusted immediately.
What is steering wheel rim?
A car’s steering rim is the length of the arc that rotates freely from the position of impact that causes the wheel to shift in one direction to the impact position, causing the wheel to turn in the opposite direction. The car steering wheel always needs to have a certain level of clearance to ensure safety, while reducing the shock jets from the road surface to the rim of the steering wheel. The rim of the wheel is usually 50 mm in oil-powered vehicles, with 75 mm for non-power vehicles.
- Advantages and disadvantages of holding the car steering wheel
- Ways of hitting a car steering wheel
What is a ripped steering wheel?
Torn wheel is a condition where the steering wheel is larger than normal, causing great delay when stepping. This reduces the accuracy, maneuverability and responsiveness of the steering wheel.
Cause the car is torn
There are many reasons why the vehicle’s steering wheel is torn. With old cars used for many years, the steering wheel was worn out mainly because the joints on the axes such as the bridge joints, the intermediate shaft joints, the steering axles … were deteriorated and much worn.
- How to handle the car when the steering wheel is locked
In the lines hatchback car good sedan Typically McPherson front suspension is combined with a gear-bar, hydraulic or electric-assisted steering system, the steering system is damaged often because the rotor is damaged or worn out.
In addition, if the steering wheel is exposed, it can be caused by a collision or a strong collision affecting the steering system.
How to recognize a wheeled vehicle
With a car with a normal steering system, when the car is standing still in straight direction, the steering angle is only from 10 to 15 degrees on each side. Just use light force to rotate the steering wheel. But if this angle of free rotation exceeds the above number, the steering system is lost.
Steps to check the steering system:
- Check the oil pump drive belt tension and readjust if necessary. Check the oil level of the oil pump.
- Start the engine and turn the steering wheel so that the front two wheels are facing straight ahead.
- Turn the steering wheel slowly until the front two wheels start to move, then mark it on the straight-line.
- Turn the steering wheel slowly in the opposite direction until the front two wheels start shifting. then mark it on the straight-line.
- The distance between the two markers on the ruler is the steering rim. If these measurements exceed regulations, it is necessary to check and fix soon.
How to adjust the car steering wheel
To overcome steering wheel mechanics, it is necessary to know exactly the cause that causes the steering wheel to be worn. If the steering wheel is worn by the joints on the axes, it must be replaced. Then you can adjust the car steering wheel. To check and thoroughly handle the status of the steering wheel, it requires a lot of experience and many supporting machines and equipment. So the best car owner should take the car to the genuine garage or reputable repair workshop to fix it.
To prevent the steering wheel from being pulled, the owner should pay attention to periodically maintain the vehicle on time, regularly check the steering system such as
- Tightness of handlebars, brackets, handlebar sign, hydraulic power steering system. In the event of a problem, it must be fixed immediately or replaced.
- If it exceeds the permissible standards, it is necessary to have the appropriate adjustment to adjust the steering wheel’s speed, free-play.
- Add grease to the steering joints and adjust the steering wheel accordingly.
A tripped steering wheel can lead to dangerous situations. In the worst case, you should brake and stop the car, call rescue and pull the car. To prevent the steering wheel from being pulled over, take care and check the car periodically to make sure it is in the best condition.