A company’s website without professionalism will also worsen the image of the company. Are pop-ups constantly disruptive? Bother. Difficult to use navigation bar? Cannot navigate. Even the slightest flaw in the design layout can quickly get rid of the user.
To create the most seamless user experience possible, let’s take a look at the biggest web design mistakes to avoid:
Photo: Javier Crocco Mendez
Currently, we live in a world where everything is available at your fingertips. If a user cannot find something interesting on your website within 15 seconds, they will almost certainly leave the site.
Effective site navigation allows users to move from one page to another with ease. If your site has problems with navigation, visitors won’t be able to find the content they’re looking for. The poor navigation experience will almost certainly have no conversions.
How can I avoid making navigation mistakes? It’s pretty simple – just streamline your main navigation bar and eliminate clutter. Making the navigation bar clear, intuitive, and following a structure is more likely to lead users to the information they’re looking for. For example, use only the Buttons for the call-to-action button and make the hypertext on every page stand out.
The content cannot be scanned
The content of your website should be easily skimable because the user simply doesn’t have the patience to stay on a page for too long. For example, when they visit a website with an all-text layout, they leave immediately. Who likes to read through the lines of text to find service information, unless it’s tutorials or articles.
Some solutions to make sure your content is skimable are
- Use links instead of additional text when you want to give users more information
- Your content should include subheadings, bulleted lists, short paragraphs, and featured keywords.
- Make use of images when possible
- Adhere to short, modern writing style
The window pops up continuously
Instead of finding pop-ups useful, many visitors find it annoying because they block their content and disrupt the website experience.
Pop-ups can distract users and direct them away from what they originally intended to do on your website. This results in a poor overall user experience.
Many users are also quite cautious and think that the pop-up is malware or a scam because they are being forced to take action. This will result in a high bounce rate because the user doesn’t want to take the risk and they will leave your website.
How can I avoid making mistakes when using popup?
- Set up pop-up windows just when you are sure that they are offering something of value to the users. Examples: discount codes, subscribe to email newsletters, or to do feedback surveys.
- Popup design that is identical to your website
- Make sure the popups you deploy are appropriate for all devices
- Make sure the user exits the popup window easily by placing a clear “X” button on the top right.
- Timing is everything! If you schedule a good time for your website’s popup, you will create a smooth on-site experience for your users and increase their chances of completing a CTA.
Finally, have a strategy about it – don’t set up pop-ups on every page on your website as it’s not necessary.
Image content is weak
Designed by: THDigi
If your website looks outdated and unattractive, it will have a negative impact on your business. In this day and age if your website is not up to date and attractive, you will not be taken seriously.
Have you ever visited a company website that looks like it hasn’t been updated since the early 2000s? If you have, I’m sure you haven’t stayed it for too long. Chances are you aren’t even sure you can trust that company’s website. Outdated layouts, poor color choices, and poor quality images or videos are red signs to consumers.
Here are a few tips to make sure your website is image-strong:
- As simple as beautiful
- Stay away from unnecessary and eye-distracting designs
- Do not use more than 5 colors per page
Poor or missing search functionality
If you’re like most people, you don’t want to waste your time. This is why it is important to ensure that your company’s website has a search bar or some sort of search functionality. Nobody likes to read through pages and text pages to find what they’re looking for.
An effective search bar can result in an increase in conversions and a decrease in your website’s bounce rate. Meanwhile, a poor search experience can negatively impact your business and drive your potential customers elsewhere.
Let’s look at some of the ways we can do this:
- Place your search bar in a clear position on the home page
- Increase chances of input using predictive data
The web design is not responsive and cannot be accessed on multiple devices
Whether it’s a large desktop, tablet, laptop, or smartphone display, the Responsive design optimizes the website to match the user’s screen. This allows them to have the best possible web experience no matter what device they are using. If a company’s website automatically adapts to a user’s device, they’ll spend more time browsing your site and continuing to interact.
However, if a website is not responsive, it will:
- Difficult to navigate and find a call to action
- Leads to an unattractive website layout that leads to low-quality images and poor readabilitySource: THDigi