The United Nations General Assembly on Tuesday (May 18) will consider a draft non-binding resolution calling for an “immediate suspension” of arms transfers to Myanmar’s military, a United Nations official said. learned on Sunday, according to AFP.
Unlike Security Council resolutions, General Assembly resolutions are not binding but carry strong political significance.
If consensus cannot be reached, the entire General Assembly of 193 member states will vote on the measure.
Introduced by Liechtenstein, with support from the European Union, the UK and the US, the measure will be considered at a plenary meeting on Tuesday (May 18) at 7pm GMT (4pm). Wednesday morning, Vietnam time).
The draft resolution calls for “immediately suspends the direct and indirect supply, sale or transfer of all arms, ammunition and other military equipment related to Myanmar.”
The draft, which has been negotiated for weeks, is co-sponsored by 48 countries, of which South Korea is the only Asian country.
It also called on the military to “end the state of emergency” and immediately stop “all acts of violence against peaceful protesters”, as well as to “immediately and unconditionally release President George W. President Win Myint, State Counselor Aung San Suu Kyi” and all those who have been “arbitrarily” detained, charged or arrested” since the February 1 coup.
The draft adds a call for the Myanmar military to quickly implement the “five-point consensus” reached with the leaders of the Association of 10 Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) on April 24, to “facilitate to facilitate the visit” of the UN special envoy to Myanmar, and to provide “safe and unhindered humanitarian access”.
Several NGOs have long called for an arms embargo against Myanmar.
Pope Francis on Sunday called for an end to the bloodshed and urged people to “keep the faith” during a mass honoring Myanmar in Vatican City.
6 people killed in clashes in Myanmar
Six opposition rebels have been killed after days of clashes in Myanmar, the anti-coup defense force said on Sunday.
In the face of security forces deploying live ammunition against civilians, some in the anti-regime movement formed local militias armed with homemade weapons to defend their towns.
In western Chin state, the town of Mindat has emerged as a hotspot for unrest, where some residents have formed the Chinland Self-Defense Force (CDF).
“Six members of our CDF who were trying to secure the people of Mindat were attacked (by the military force) and gave their lives for the national revolution.” The CDF statement on Sunday said.
A spokesman also told AFP that more than 10 other members had been injured this week, while five Mindat residents had been detained by the military.
With mobile data blocked across the country, details of the fighting have been slow to be released and on-site verification has become even more difficult, as locals fear reprisals.
The spokesman, speaking on condition of anonymity, said CDF warplanes set fire to several army trucks, destroying them and ambushing reinforcements, while the army attacked the town with artillery.
By Sunday, he said, the CDF had retreated into the woods. He added that the remaining residents in Mindat – which has been under martial law since Thursday – are afraid to leave their homes for fear of being targeted by the military.
>> Myanmar poet dies after being detained, the body has no organs nội
“No tolerance for violence”
The US and UK embassies in Myanmar sounded the alarm Saturday about the unrest in Mindat, calling on security forces to stop using violence.
“The military’s use of weapons of war against civilians, including in Mindat this week, is another example of the regime’s [quân sự] how deep will it be in seizing power,” The US Embassy said in a tweet on Saturday.
“Attacks on civilians are illegal and unjustifiable,” The British Embassy said, referring to reports of violence from Mindat.
“Evidence of a crime needs to be sent to (United Nations Independent Investigative Mechanism for Myanmar) for perpetrators to be held accountable,” Embassy tweets.
Myanmar’s state newspaper New Light reported on Sunday that a military court would be called to try “the perpetrators of the terrorist attacks” in Mindat.
According to local monitoring group AAPP, at least 796 people have been killed by security forces since the February 1 coup, while nearly 4,000 are in custody.
Despite the threat of violence and arrest, protesters across Myanmar continue to take to the streets daily against the military regime, some also cheering the Mindat self-defense force.
Le Xuan (synthesized from AFP)