Cooking time: over 60 minutes
When I was little, I used to make rice cakes at my grandmother’s house every year. I can’t forget the deliciousness of the freshly made mochi that I tasted at that time. Buy your own mortar and pestle and make mochi about once a year.
I haven’t bought a mortar and pestle yet, so I’d like to gradually increase the information about rice cake making.
- Keywords for this recipe
- Vegan (no animal material used)
Summary of preparation, procedure, and method for making mochi
Prepare the day before making mochi
First, prepare for the day before. There are two types: preparation for glutinous rice and preparation for mortar and pestle.
First, about glutinous rice.Glutinous rice needs to be sharpened and soaked in water from the day before, so purchase it by the day before.(Details of flooding will be introduced later).
Also, since the mortar and pestle are often made of wood,For wooden items, soaking them in water from the previous day and letting them absorb water will make the wood less likely to crack...
* The mortar I purchased is made of wood (zelkova), and 2 to 2.5 squares is the appropriate size, so I try to make that amount each time.
Calculate how many times you want to make glutinous rice with the appropriate size for one mortar, and prepare as much as you need.
By the evening of the previous day, sharpen the glutinous rice (in several batches if necessary)... Unlike glutinous rice for rice, rather than sharpening it, the image is that the whole is mixed by hand and the turbid sharpening water is replaced several times.
If the water becomes slightly white, it’s OK. Drain the water roughly, add water for flooding until it is completely immersed, and then wrap it. Place it in the refrigerator or in a cold room in winter to flood it.
* If you are particular about it, you should use only water for flooding, water that has passed through a water purifier, or mineral water.
How to steam glutinous rice with mochi
The glutinous rice that had been flooded the night before is in a swollen state by absorbing water firmly. When this happens, raise it, drain it, and start steaming.
* Steaming time is less than an hour, so it’s a good idea to allocate time before you start steaming according to the timing of the actual rice cake making.
* When you have made mochi for the first time, you need to eat freshly made mochi or make mochi while it is hot, so seasonings and ingredients to eat mochi at the same time, if you want to make mochi, spread the mochi and mochi powder, etc. I will prepare.
Once you have all the preparations for making mochi, you can start steaming the glutinous rice.* When the amount of glutinous rice steamed is large, it seems that steaming cloth is not used, but in our case, it is about 1 sho, so we use steaming cloth to make it easier to put out.
Spread the steamed cloth that has been moistened and squeezed in a steamer, and spread the drained glutinous rice.The point is to open the center a little and make it donut-shaped so that steam can easily pass through.Then, cover it with a steaming cloth and you are ready to steam.
Put it in boiling water45 minutes to 1 hour on high heatSteam.
It is advisable to switch the lower and upper tiers 2-3 times on the way so that the steam hits evenly.
* When switching the top and bottom, be sure to let the steam escape to the opposite side of yourself so that you do not get burned, and then bring your hands closer!
Preparation around the mortar and pestle with mochi
Mochitsuki is also a game against time, in which hot steamed glutinous rice is cooked while it is hot, so it is necessary to warm the mortar and pestle so that the glutinous rice does not cool down even a little.
A little before I started steaming glutinous rice,Discard all the water you put in the day before and add boiling water instead to warm the mortar and pestle...
* You can tilt the mortar to replace the water, but it is heavy, so it is recommended to scoop up the water with a large tub or bowl (without moving the mortar) and replace the water.
Shortly before the glutinous rice is steamed, discard the boiling water inside and gently wipe off the water with a clean cloth.
When making mochiYou will need hot water for the people who put your hands together and water to moisten the tip of the pestle, so prepare hot water for each...
How to make mochi and how to make rice cakes
After steaming the glutinous rice for 45 minutes to 1 hour, try it and check the steaming. It’s OK if it’s steamed. Transfer to a mortar while hot.
The sticky rice in the mortarInstead of sticking at first, put your weight on it and crush it with a pestle.Crush evenly while rotating around the mortar..
In order to crush the glutinous rice evenly, it is advisable to add water to the inside and put the glutinous rice that comes out on the edge inside (although it may not be necessary if there are multiple pestle).
If you can crush the whole glutinous rice carefully, you can start from here.
* If glutinous rice sticks to the tip of the pestle, it is recommended to drop the glutinous rice quickly and soak it in hot water to moisten it before starting work.
Making mochi with a pestleThe point is to use the weight of the pestle that you swung up and drop it without putting too much force.is.
I’m getting it while getting a hand in the middleMove the mochi so that it folds in from the outside to the inside...
* Again, if the rice cake sticks to the mortar or pestle, it is recommended to moisten the tip of the pestle with hot water, and for the mortar, remove the rice cake and moisten it quickly by stopping it once. It’s important to breathe with your hands, but sometimes you need to stop and return the mochi!
To make the whole mochi evenIt is good to turn the whole mochi up and down about once or twice on the way...
Gather the mochi on the outside while putting your hands together, and attach the mochi to the mochi.
How to eat mochi with mochi (for reference)
The mochi is still hot, so be careful and take it out into a well-moistened bowl. Wet your hands with lukewarm water and tear it into bite-sized pieces to make it easier to eat.
At this timeIt’s good for a well-wetted bat or flat plate, or you can prepare grated radish, soybean flour, red bean paste, etc. on the plate, put it in it, and entangle it immediately...
We all love to eat with grated radish, so we are putting more and more in grated radish.
You will be sprinkled with soy sauce, so as a matchCitrus fruits such as orange, natto, kimchi, grilled seaweedI think it’s okay.
* If you want to eat sweets at the same time, we recommend kinako, filed sesame with sugar, red bean paste, and zunda bean paste introduced on white rice.com!
If you want to enjoy the freshly made mochi, leave it as a mochi (you can tear it by hand and sprinkle it with mochi powder to make it round).
I have a sushi board and a sashimi stick, so spread a lot of mochi-tori powder on the sushi board, put the mochi on it, sprinkle the powder from above, and spread it with the sushi stick to make it as uniform as possible. It is shaped like this. After the mochi has cooled and hardened to a certain extent, cut it to the desired size and the “cut mochi” is completed.
* Sometimes there are no sticks or sticks, and the work is quite difficult. When I searched online, I found many ways to make holes in the two corners of a large plastic bag for food and put rice cakes in them (without using rice cake powder) to make rice cakes. Next time, I’ll try it too (for reference, the official website of Kanagawa Prefecture has a detailed summary of how to do it.
- Mochi that you touch with your hands is steamed and hot, so if necessary, you should wear rubber gloves.
- If you leave the mortar and pestle that have finished making mochi, the mochi will stick and it will be difficult to clean, so pour boiling water immediately.(Because you need boiling water to make mochi on something, it’s a good idea to boil plenty of water).
- Update information: Added information on how to eat mochi and noshi mochi (December 2020)