Cooking time: 60 minutes or less
“Nanakusa-gayu” to be served on January 7th, when the stomach and intestines are a little tired for the New Year’s feast. A gentle porridge made from 7 kinds of young vegetables in early spring.
First, measure the amount of rice and water, and boil the vegetables separately. Please fully enjoy the scent and color of Wakana that feels the vitality of the earth!
- Keywords for this recipe
- With recipe video
- Vegan (no animal material used)
How to make Nanakusa-gayu
Preparation of Nanakusa-gayu
The basic amount of porridge (for 2 people) is“600 ml of water for 1/2 go of rice”is.
* This makes the ratio of rice: water about 1: 7 (1/2 go is 90 ml, so the volume ratio is about 7 times).Normal hardness porridgeWill be. If you want to make the porridge a little softer, you can increase the ratio of rice to water to 1:10, so you can increase it to 900 ml of water for 1/2 go (90 ml) of rice.
It is convenient to use commercially available packs of seven spring herbs. Boiled to reduce the bulk, so I used up all the 1 pack in the photo below for 2 people.
* One set of Nanakusa-gayu, which is a commercial product, will have more ingredients for 2 people, but I think it can be made for up to 4 people.
Next, prepare the seven herbs (* This can be done while cooking porridge!) First of all, if the fruit of Suzushiro (radish) and Suzuna (Turnip) is small, you can cut it into pieces that are easy to eat, and then slice it into thin slices.
Boil a teaspoon of salted water and boil.Eat it with porridge and boil it slightly softly so that it doesn’t feel strange (a guideline is 2-3 minutes)... When it is boiled, take it out and put it on a plate or bat (do not throw away the boiled water as it is used for leaves!).
Rinse the leaves quickly in water, boil the remaining pot water again, add thick stems such as tin, and when cooked, add the remaining seven herbs and boil quickly. Immediately raise it in a colander, take it in cold water, squeeze it lightly when it cools, and chop it roughly to a width of 6 to 7 mm.Let’s squeeze the chopped food tightly by hand...
Nanakusa-gayu recipe / how to make
After weighing 1/2 go of rice, transfer it to a bowl and sharpen it.After adding water once, drain the water quickly, because there is little riceLightly rub with your fingertipsAfter sharpening (about 10 times), change the water several times and then drain the water.
Put the sharpened rice in a pan and pour 600 ml of water. It does not need to be submerged, so put it on the heat immediately (medium heat until boiling, low heat when boiling).
To prevent scorching at the timing of boilingUse a rice scoop to stir once from the bottom.Once mixed with a rice scoop, there is no need to mix the rest. Place the lid slightly off (even with a chopstick)Cook slowly for about 30-40 minutes..
* Even on low heat, it may boil over by shifting the lid, so be careful only if it boiled over!
When the porridge is cooked, add about 2 pinches of salt, add the boiled seven herbs, mix gently and warm.
The point that you tend to forget to enjoy porridge is“Getting freshly made”So, if you can, get it fresh!
[Basic porridge youtube video]
The recipe video is uploaded on youtube’s white rice.com Channel. In particular, please refer to the video for the basic ratio of water and rice in porridge and the amount of heat.
Return to recipe above
- In the recipe process, the ingredients of the seven herbs are boiled in two parts (in order of radish & turnip → other leaves), but if the timing is right,Boil the radish and turnip. Finally, add the leaves and raise them together.It’s OK.
- Nanakusa-gayu is a simple porridge made only of vegetables, so please try it on 1/7 when your stomach and intestines are a little tired for the New Year’s feast.
- There are seven kinds of spring seven herbs: auction, shepherd’s purse (penpen grass), gogyo, chickweed, hotoke no za, turnip, and radish.Because it is a spring young vegetable, it has a nice scentThe feature is. The aroma is enough even if boiled separately,The method of making the separately boiled porridge with the porridge afterwards gives a more clean finish.I think.
- When making porridge, I think that it is better to decide the amount of water of the hardness you want to make in advance and then make it, rather than adding water later to adjust the softness.
- Recipe update information: The total amount of porridge for 2 people has been slightly increased (November 2019) → The process has been slightly rewritten (2021.01)