The Apple developer background is mainly used to generate App ID, certificates, configuration files and configure Apple login, push and other related functions.
There are three types of Apple developer accounts, one is the free version, the other two are the paid personal version and the paid enterprise version. In the past, developers could register or renew on the computer, but now Apple has launched the Apple Developer App to register and renew the Apple Developer Program.
As mentioned above, Apple supports two paid developer plans. Next, we will introduce the registration process separately.
Register for the Apple Developer Program as an individual
Before you start, you need to make the following preparations:
- An iPhone running iOS 12.4, iOS 13.1 or later, or an iPad running iPadOS 13.1 or later, and make sure that the lock screen password, touch ID or face ID is enabled.
- Apple ID with two-factor authentication enabled.
- The latest version of the Apple Developer app.
- Log in to iCloud on the device. *
1. Start registration
- Open the Apple Developer app.
- Tap the “Account” tab.
- Sign in with Apple ID.
- Click “Register Now”.
- Review the benefits and requirements of the plan, and then click “Continue Registration”.
2. Enter personal information
Enter the first name, last name, ID number, and phone number. Entering the legal name incorrectly will cause delays in the registration review.
3. In order to verify your identity, the system will ask you to take a selfie
- Make sure your face is clearly displayed in the frame, then tap “Shoot.”
- Check your selfie to make sure the photo is clear, then tap “Confirm.”
4. Follow the steps on the next few pages:
- Enter your first name, last name, and address in English letters, then tap “Continue.”
- Select “Personal” as the entity type.
- Agree to the Apple Developer Program License Agreement (English).
- Complete the purchase
Note: View the details of the annual membership subscription, then tap “Renew at ¥688 per year”. Membership will be provided in the form of an annual auto-renewal subscription, unless you choose to cancel, membership will be automatically renewed. You can cancel your subscription at any time in Settings, but you must cancel at least one day before the annual renewal date. The annual fee paid in the year in which the membership is cancelled will not be refunded.
Register for the Apple Developer Program as an organization
The registration process for registering as an organization is roughly the same as the registration process for registering as an individual. However, as a registrant of the Apple Developer Program of the organization, you must have the legal authority to restrict the organization’s compliance with legal agreements. The registrant must be the owner/founder of the organization, a member of the senior management team, a senior project leader, or an employee with legal authorization granted by a senior employee.
Individual registration needs to provide personal information, and organization registration needs to provide organization information.
Follow the next few steps to provide the following information:
- Entity type.
- The name of the legal entity. Apple does not accept DBAs, fictitious companies, trade names, or subsidiaries. The legal entity name will be displayed as “supplier” in the distributed app. Example: Supplier: ABC Company, Inc.
- D-U-N-S number (Dun and Bai’s code). The organization must have a D-U-N-S number so that Apple can verify the identity and legal entity status of the organization. These unique nine-digit numbers are assigned by Dun & Bradstreet and are widely used as standard corporate identification codes.
- Headquarters address and phone number.
- website. The website of the organization must be public, and the domain name must be associated with the organization.
- The right to sign is confirmed. Confirm that the registrant has the right to bind the organization to comply with legal agreements and provide the contact information of an employee who must be able to prove that the registrant has the right to sign.
- If the registrant’s organization is a non-profit, educational or government organization, you can choose to apply for membership fee exemption.
Note: Organization registration has the same price as individual registration, both are ￥688 per year.
- You can cancel the subscription at any time and continue to enjoy the membership benefits before the membership expires. The expiration date can be viewed in the “Account” tab of the Apple Developer app. If you want to re-subscribe after canceling your subscription, you can subscribe at any time within one year after the membership expires.
- Register in the Apple Developer App to use the payment methods that have been added under Apple ID, and support payment methods such as Alipay and WeChat.
- If the registration is completed through the Apple Developer website, membership renewal through the Apple Developer app is not supported.
After completing the account registration, Apple will review the membership, usually within 24 hours, the review will be completed, after which you can log in to the developer backend to use various functions.
After the registration is completed, there will be a Team ID on the Membership page. This ID is the only identifier that identifies the developer’s account, and it is also necessary when transferring the application later.
It is worth noting that if it is an individual registration, the team member management function cannot be used, that is, it is not possible to authorize team roles to different Apple IDs. However, if it is an organization registration, the account holder or the account with management rights can use the team member Management function.
The App ID creation process has been introduced in detail in other articles, so I won’t repeat it here.
With the launch of iOS14, Apple has also updated the App Clips function. When creating an App ID, developers need to select the App Clip type to create an App ID, and the App Clip ID must be related to the App ID of the full version of the app Because App Clip needs to support the installation of the full version of the application. Like the regular App ID, Sign in With Apple and push functions are not turned on by default, so you need to check it yourself.
It is also worth noting that the new Mac released by Apple this year will start to use its own processor. All iOS applications that can run on Macs using Apple processors will be automatically published to the Mac store. Edit the availability on the Store Connect backend.
The process of creating certificates and configuration files has been explained in detail in other articles, so I won’t repeat them here.
Regarding the certificate, although only two release certificates and two development certificates can be generated at the same time, since the .p12 can be generated, the problem of using on multiple devices can also be solved. Developers do not need to worry about whether online applications will be affected after the certificate expires. The answer is no. For applications published through the App Store, even if the certificate expires, it will not have any experience impact on the user. The developer only It needs to be packaged with a valid certificate next time.
Developers usually add the udid of the test device to the Apple developer backend, and then generate a configuration file for testing. However, each developer account has only 100 iPhones and 100 iPads in each membership year, and they are in the same member. Even if the device is deleted during the year, the device quota cannot be released, and it can only be reset in the next membership year.
If it is an individual registered account, 100 iPhones and 100 iPads should be enough to use, but if an organization registered account, especially the account used by the issuing company, the quota may be shared with multiple R&D companies, then the number will not be Too much, so it is recommended to use TestFlight for testing. TestFlight can directly add internal testers without submitting for review, and it can also avoid the situation that the number of added devices is not enough.