A Chinese man was in great pain after swallowing two live eels to relieve constipation and prostatitis.
The 51-year-old said he had learned how to cure himself from a folk remedy, and swallowed two eels last week. He was rushed to emergency in Jiangsu Province Hospital, China, after the family discovered he had convulsions and severe abdominal pain.
Dr Sun Haijian, Deputy Head of the Hospital’s General Surgery Department, told The Paper that the patient had symptoms of intestinal perforation and acute peritonitis. The two eels punctured the intestines and defecated the patient’s stomach, causing serious infections.
|A scan shows two coils in the patient’s abdomen|
Scans showed the location of the two eels. They curl up between the patient’s organs, around the digestive tract. When the doctor pulled out of the patient’s stomach, an eel was still wiggling, and one had left its head.
|The doctor picks the eel out of the abdomen|
Dr Sun added: “When we opened the patient’s abdomen, we saw a large amount of water mixed with blood. There were severe swells, and we found two eels at the bottom of the abdomen. Patient’s intestinal perforation was about 2cm. It has caused an infection, causing the body to septic shock. We sewed the hole in the intestinal wall and cleaned the abdomen. ”
The patient later recovered and is currently in intensive care for further follow-up.