North Korean diplomat Jo Chol-su warned that the opportunity for talks with the US would turn off if Washington had no positive moves before the end of the year.
"We have given the US too much time and we are still waiting for an answer until the end of this year," Jo Chol-su, head of the North American Department of the North Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said Nov. 8 at the Association. Prohibition of the Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons takes place in Moscow, Russia.
He said Pyongyang is willing to hold talks with Washington if they are able to move forward but are not interested in the fruitless talks.
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un (left) and US President Donald Trump at a summit in Hanoi in February. Image: Reuters.
"If there are constructive elements, constructive signals, we are always willing to meet at any time but if a meeting takes place there is only talk, if we can not look forward to The results are clear that we are not interested, "Jo emphasized, adding that the sanctions that North Korea is facing are" unacceptable "and need to be lifted.
US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in June agreed to resume the denuclearization talks that were delayed after the second US-North Korea summit in Vietnam in February.
Last month, US-North Korean officials first met in Stockholm, Sweden, but the talks failed when the North Korean delegation said the US did not show flexibility.
North Korea still wants the US to lift sanctions as a premise for negotiations, but Washington has demanded that Pyongyang must give up its nuclear program first.
Earlier this year, Kim Jong-un set a deadline at the end of the year for the United States to take a new approach to North Korea, raising concerns that Pyongyang could return to test nuclear bombs and long-range missiles after time. silent word since 2017.
Vu Hoang (Follow Reuters)