Crowds of protesters protested against the military coup in Yangon on February 7.  Photo: Reuters.

Internet in Myanmar partially restored

The Internet in Myanmar on February 7 was restored after a day of disruption, amid tens of thousands of people taking to the streets to protest the military’s coup.

“The partial recovery of the Internet in Myanmar has been confirmed from 2 p.m. local time from many providers after the connection is lost,” Internet monitoring service Netbocks wrote on Twitter.

Myanmar lost its network connection since February 6 following orders from the military. Netblocks said the social networking platforms were still limited as of yesterday afternoon. However, customers using mobile phones of carriers such as MPT, Ooredoo, or Telenor … can now access mobile Internet data and Wi-Fi.

On the morning of February 7, Netblocks said that Internet connection in Myanmar was only 14% compared to normal.

Crowds of protesters protested against the military coup in Yangon on February 7. Image: Reuters.

Tens of thousands of people poured into the streets of Yangon yesterday, marking the second consecutive day of protest in Myanmar’s largest city to protest the military coup on February 1. Huge crowds from all over Yangon have gathered and headed towards Sule Pagoda in the city center.

Police armed with riot shields set up barricades but did not try to stop the demonstrations. Some people marched to give flowers to the police as a gesture of peace.

The protesters carried out three-finger salutes, which became a symbol of the protest against the coup. Drivers honk their horns repeatedly and passengers hold up a portrait of State Counselor Aung San Suu Kyi, who was arrested by the military in the coup earlier last week, demanding her release.

“We will not stop until we make history. We will fight to the end,” said Ye Yint, 29, who participated in the protest.

In another gathering on February 7, at least 2,000 union activists, students and the public gathered at a large intersection near Yangon University. They parade on the streets, receiving support through the horns of the drivers.

Police in riot attire blocked the entrance to the university. Two tornado cars were seen parked nearby.

Despite the Internet disconnection, a small number of people were able to live the protest on social media Facebook. Many users reported that the internet seemed to have been restored last afternoon.

The military did not comment. The news on Myanmar state TV did not mention the protests.

The Myanmar military arrested Advisor Suu Kyi and several high-ranking leaders in the ruling National Coalition for Democracy (NLD) party, accused of cheating in the November 2020 election. The Myanmar police accused Suu Kyi of illegally entering communication equipment and detained her until February 15 to investigate.

The Myanmar army on 2/2 warned people not to post “rumors on social networks” that could incite “riots and destabilization”. Facebook on the same day removed a page related to the Myanmar military-owned television network.

Leaders of countries and world organizations have voiced their hope that Myanmar will resolve differences by peaceful means and soon return to stability. The February 1 coup also led to a number of protests in countries such as Thailand and Japan.

Vu Hoang (According to the Channel News Asia)


Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *