Estimated reading time: 4 minutes.
Last updated: 07/13/2020
The advent of smartphones and touchscreen tablets in the late 2000s led to the development of applications mobiles, also referred to asapps orapps. These applications are different from usual computer programs / software. They are mostly downloadable from download platforms which vary depending on the operating system of the mobile device. For smartphones / tablets under Android, the apps are available on Google Play while for a iPhone or one iPad running under iOS, the apps can be downloaded from theApp Store d’Apple.
Install an application on iOS (iPad / iPhone)
Apple has a fairly closed policy for applications running on iOS, the operating system of iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. Thus, developers of mobile applications for iOS must have their application validated by Apple and pay an annual fee to be present on the App Store. After validation, an application is found on the Apple App Store. This is the only place to legally download and install an app from an iPad.
Prerequisites for installing an iOS application: you must have an Apple account (Apple ID also called Apple ID) to be able to install an app from the App Store.
- On your iOS device, tap the icon App Store from the home screen.
- Once in the App Store, search for the app you want to install or select an app offered by the Apple Store.
- Push the button Get to download the selected application.
- Click on Installer when the App Store prompts you.
- Enter your password linked to your Apple ID to start the download and installation of the application.
Once your app is installed, its icon will automatically be placed on the home screen of your iPad or iPhone.
Note : The icons and presentation of the App Store has evolved over the years and versions of iOS. It is therefore possible that you have an icon or a slightly different presentation than the one shown here. The screenshots were taken with an iPad running iOS 11.4 at the end of June 2018.
Delete an app on an iPhone or iPad
Uninstalling an app on an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch is a snap. The procedure only takes a few seconds and is very easy to perform. Here’s how to remove an app from an iOS device from the App Store.
- Long press the app icon from the iOS home screen.
- The icon will animate and a cross (X) will appear at the top left of the icon. Click on the cross to remove the application from your iPhone or iPad device.
- Confirm the removal of the application when prompted by iOS by clicking on Remove.
Please note that deleting an app does not automatically terminate a paid subscription linked to the application. You will therefore have to remember to cancel the paid subscription linked to the iOS app before uninstalling it.
Note that it is also possible to uninstall an app via the software iTunes. But personally I hate this software and therefore I do not use it (despite the insistent reminders of my iPad and Apple).
Restore an uninstalled iOS app
As for Android where it is possible to restore an Android application, iOS also allows you to find and restore an application previously installed from your Apple account and the App Store. To recover and reinstall an app deleted from the App Store:
- Click on the App Store icon from the home page and then tap on the image of your Apple ID account at the top right.
- Press on Purchases in your Apple account options.
- Then click at the top on Not on this iPad (or Not on this iPhone). All you have to do is choose the application to reinstall and press the cloud icon with an arrow.
Install / reinstall / remove iPhone apps without App Store
The App Store works fine for an iOS device but AnyTrans pour iOS allows you to manage all your iPhone apps on PC / Mac in a smart and efficient way without App Store including downloading, installing, uninstalling, updating Apps. Better yet, you can backup all versions of apps to PC / Mac, that is, install an old version of an App (like Instagram, Snapchat, Messenger…) is possible.
- Download and install AnyTrans pour iOS on PC / Mac, connect your iPhone using the USB cable, on the AppS icon.
- Here, you can manage your applications on iPhone such as, for example, delete several applications in 1 click.
- AnyTrans pour iOS is like your desktop App Store. Select the part Download Apps, sign in with your Apple ID, then find and download apps. They will be saved in your Apps Library, you can install them on your iPhone anytime, when you need them.
Permanently delete an app from an iPad / iPhone in iOS
Update of the article following several requests from visitors to completely remove an application from their iPhone / iPad. Indeed, as seen previously, it is very easy to restore an app that you have deleted from your iOS device. The problem is that sometimes you want to get rid of it permanently, to erase your settings or your progress in a game for example. It was previously possible to completely remove apps by connecting your device to a computer equipped with iTunes. Unfortunately this is no longer possible today since iOS 12 and you will therefore have to go through an iOS manager software to manage its applications …