Coconut oil for hair is the ultimate solution for dry, frizzy and curly hair. If you know how to condition your hair with coconut oil, you will not only protect your hair from damage, but also breathe into new vitality for smoother hair!
Daily habits like shampooing, combing, drying or styling can damage the hair and cause it to look dry. Chemical dyes can damage the cuticles so they cannot protect the central parts of the hair shaft. This causes you to lose some of the proteins that make up the haircut, making the hair fragile, weak and prone to hair loss.
Luckily, research has shown that coconut oil helps hair to stay healthy. Let’s learn about the benefits of coconut oil hair care, how to make coconut oil hair care at home and how to use coconut oil for silky smooth hair offline!
Hair care effects with coconut oil
How to condition hair with coconut oil can bring the following effects:
1. Coconut oil reduces protein loss
Hair is made up of protein and consists of three layers: the epidermis, the middle layer and the medulla layer. Dyeing, drying, styling and other beauty treatments can cause you to lose some of the proteins that make up the middle layer (the thickest layer of hair).
One 2017 review Studies confirm that coconut oil reduces protein loss when used as a hair treatment before and after shampooing.
2. Coconut oil penetrates deep into the hair shaft
Coconut oil has a low molecular weight so it is easier to penetrate into the hair shaft than other oils. Research also shows that coconut oil is able to reduce protein loss and maintain healthy hair better than sunflower and mineral oils.
3. Coconut oil adds moisture to the hair
Moisture is an important factor to help smooth hair every day. Coconut oil will help to increase moisture in the hair easily. Because coconut oil penetrates deep into the hair shaft, it can help protect your hair from dryness. If you condition your hair with coconut oil after shampooing, your hair will be softer and more shiny.
4. Coconut oil helps prevent hair damage
If you have a habit of damaging your hair, like going out in the sun, styling or curling, you should condition it with coconut oil. The habit of using coconut oil to condition hair before shampooing will prevent the risk of hair damage. Wet hair is also very weak and easily damaged more than you think!
5. Coconut oil helps condition hair long
Coconut oil is also a way for hair to grow faster thanks to its moisturizing effect, reducing breakage and preventing damage. This natural ingredient also helps protect hair from environmental factors such as wind, dust and sunlight.
How to make coconut oil for hair care at home
Coconut oil is a natural solution extracted from coconut milk. Many people often buy ready-made coconut oil for convenience, but are not sure about the safety. Therefore, you can learn how to make coconut oil at home for added peace of mind.
To make coconut oil at home, you need to prepare the following ingredients and tools:
- Old coconut: 1 fruit
- Cold water: 500ml
- Colanders or bucket towels
You can make coconut oil by the cold method for simplicity. If you have time, you can apply the method of making coconut oil by hot method.
How to make coconut oil by cold method
This is a simple way to make coconut oil at home without using heat to make coconut oil to condition hair with pure white color.
Step 1 | Preliminary processing coconut
– Add the coconut in half to remove the pulp (coconut rice), then grated into small fibers.
– Put coconut rice in the blender with a little hot water to make a thick paste.
Step 2 | Get the coconut milk
– Take cloth bucket placed on a glass jar.
– Take 1-2 tablespoons of ground coconut in the middle of a towel, use your hands to squeeze the end of the towel to squeeze the juice into the jar. You filter gradually until the end of the coconut.
– Cover the glass jar tightly and leave in a cool place for 1 day to separate the coconut oil layer.
If you want to save time taking coconut milk, you can ask the seller to grind coconut and filter for you.
Step 3 | Scum out coconut oil
– After 1 day, use a spoon to gently remove the yellow scum on the surface of the coconut oil.
– Extract the bottom layer of coconut oil into a glass jar and store it in the refrigerator cooler.
How to make coconut oil by hot method
How to make coconut oil according to the hot method will give the coconut oil a light yellow or slightly yellowish color and have a greasy aroma of coconut.
Step 1 | Preliminary processing coconut
– Add halved coconut to get copra (copra), then grated into small fibers.
– Put in a blender with a little hot water to make a thick coconut rice mixture.
To take advantage of the effects of copra, you can also process delicacies such as copra, roasted shrimp with coconut, coconut jam, coconut smoothies, jelly jelly …
Step 2 | Cook coconut rice with water
– Pour enough water to cover the amount of coconut in the pot.
– Boil coconut rice with low heat for about 15 minutes and then turn off the heat.
Step 3 | Squeeze coconut milk
– You grind the coconut has just boiled into a smooth mixture.
– Use a bucket or strainer to squeeze coconut milk and put into the pot.
Step 4 | Cook coconut oil for hair care
– Put coconut milk on the stove to simmer, stirring occasionally to avoid burning at the bottom of the pot.
– Time to cook coconut oil in about 60 – 90 minutes so that coconut milk evaporates, you will see the oil floating.
– When boiling the remaining coconut rice layer will burn yellow, you filter this layer will be pure coconut oil solution.
– Put coconut oil in glass jars to cool, then use cap.
How to use coconut oil for hair
Here are 5 ways to use coconut oil for healthy, soft and natural hair that you can easily apply at home.
1. Use coconut oil to condition hair like conditioner: Wash your hair as usual, then brush coconut oil through your hair from the middle to the top and rinse with cool water.
2. Use coconut oil as a moisturizer: After shampooing and rinsing your hair, gently rub a little coconut oil over your hair to moisturize.
3. Use coconut oil as a hair mask: To make a hair mask, apply coconut oil to your hair and let it sit for a few hours (or even overnight) before washing off.
4. Use coconut oil to protect your hair before shampooing: You apply coconut oil through your hair before shampooing. This is a coconut oil treatment that helps protect your hair from damage when it’s wet.
5. Using coconut oil to treat scalp: Not only do you use coconut oil to make your hair smoother, but it also helps treat problems like dandruff or scalp fungus. Before going to bed, take a small amount of coconut oil to massage the scalp. Then, leave your hair overnight and wash your hair the next morning.
Depending on your hair type, you can use coconut oil regularly or occasionally for healthy, shiny hair.
When using coconut oil for hair care, you should note the amount of coconut oil and coconut oil type:
• Amount of coconut oil: You will use length and hair type to determine the amount of coconut oil used each time. Most people use just enough for the middle to the ends to avoid greasy hair. The best way is that you should start with a little coconut oil and may increase later.
If you have short or healthy hair, you may need at least a teaspoon of coconut oil to condition your hair. However, people with long, thick hair can use more than about two tablespoons of coconut oil.
• Type of coconut oil: Some people prefer to choose virgin (unrefined) coconut oil because they are also used in their daily diet. However, there is no specific study proving that one type of coconut oil is better for hair than the other. In addition, both unrefined and refined coconut oils have similar moisturizing properties.
If you want to feel more secure, it’s best to learn how to make coconut oil at home so you don’t have to worry about preservatives.
Coconut oil is just finished when it has a pleasant aroma that will help your hair faintly smell cute. When using coconut oil, the hair is soft and smooth, you can also take advantage to care for smooth skin and long eyelashes soaring. If you know how to make coconut oil at home, you will have a natural beauty product 3 in 1 there!
Thao Vien | HELLO BACSI
You may be interested in the topic:
- 6 ways to make hair grow fast and strong
- 3 effective hair mask formulas from avocado
- How to make virgin coconut oil fast and simple at home
Date Posted: January 20, 2020 | Last updated: January 20, 2020
The Benefits of a Coconut Oil Hair Mask and How to Make One
Access date: 19.01.2020
Coconut Oil for Your Hair: Benefits, Uses and Tips
Access date: 19.01.2020
Can Coconut Oil Help with Hair Growth?
Access date: 19.01.2020