A few days ago, Liliane, a regular user of this site, encountered a problem with her Samsung smartphone running Android. She had inadvertently deleted over 100 contacts. So she wanted to know how to restore deleted contacts on your Android phone. For all the details of losing their contacts, read their request for help in our Q&A section: Restoring lost Gmail contacts. Fortunately, there is a trick to easily recover deleted contacts on Android without necessarily having to download and install an application on your smartphone or without using data recovery software on your computer.
Tutorial to restore deleted contacts from your Android smartphone
This tutorial and screenshots were made with a Huawei P9 Lite under Android 7.0 (also called Android Nougat). There may be some variations in the labels displayed on your phone. But overall the method remains the same for an Android device!
Pre-requisites for restoration
First of all, for this tip to restore your contacts to work, you will need to check that you are synchronizing your contacts with your Google account (which is essential to be able to run a device on Android). This is a default setting for Android. So there is a good chance that you left this setting on.
To check the synchronization of your contacts with your Google account:
If this option is enabled, your contacts are well synchronized with your Google account. You should therefore be able to recover your contacts without problem!
Otherwise, I advise you to follow the alternative method proposed at the end of this article.
Recover deleted contacts from your Android phone
- Connect to Google Contacts from a computer with the Google account you use for your phone.
- Click on the top right on the gear (Google Contacts settings) and then on Discard changes.
- Choose when you want to restore your contacts: 10 minutes ago, 1 hour ago, Yesterday, A week ago, Customize (up to 30 days).
Then go back to Google settings and deactivate / reactivate contact synchronization. Your contacts will then be restored after synchronization with your Google account!
Alternative methods to recover deleted contacts
Haven’t synchronized your phone contacts with your Google account as explained above? Too bad, because it’s the easiest and quickest way to recover your contacts …
Fortunately, there are many software and applications that represent an alternative to synchronizing contacts with Google.
How to recover deleted contacts on Android with PhoneRescue software for Android?
PhoneRescue for Android is professional lost data recovery software on your Android phone. Which allows you to restore your contacts, messages, photos, videos, WhatsApp data as well as your attachments. All Android manufacturers are supported, like Samsung, Huawei, Xiaomi, Onplus, LG, Wiko, etc.
Two possibilities for recover your android contacts : directly to your smartphone or to your PC / Mac computer.
- Download and install PhoneRescue for Android on your computer then connect your Android phone via a USB cable.
- When your device is connected to your computer, click on the checkbox ” Contacts »Then click on« following “
- After that, you will be able to preview all the deleted contacts on your Android device. Select the contacts you want to recover then click on the button To device or To computer at the bottom right of the software, according to your needs.
There are of course other software that can recover lost data. Be careful however, some of these data recovery software are not on Google Play Store and you will then have to download the installation files and authorize the installation of an application from an unknown source.
I advise you to finish especially reading my tutorial How to recover deleted data on Android?