Home movie theaters are complex systems, with a range of options worth considering. One of the important factors is the visual aspect. Carefully choose wisely and consider all options to get the right TV for home theater setup.
This guide outlines a few key factors that help you find the right product.
Viewing distance and size of the TV
The viewing distance, or the distance you intend to sit away from the screen, is the most important factor affecting screen size. Determining the viewing distance is the first step before deciding on a TV size.
Projector or flat screen TV?
It’s hard to imagine a movie theater without a projector. Home cinema is no exception. In fact, projectors are the most efficient means to get big screen sizes (in excess of 100 inches) without breaking the budget. Turning an entire wall in the entertainment room into a large screen is possible.
Modern DLP projectors are not only significantly cheaper than flat-screen TVs, but also offer amazing picture quality. However, the projector needs a completely dark room. The projected image will be blurred under normal lighting conditions.
OLED or LCD TV?
Flat-screen TVs are the only viable option for those who want to set up home theater settings in the living room, which is not limited to movies. This makes you have to choose between OLED and LCD technology.
An LED TV is basically an old LCD TV too, except that the LCD screen is illuminated by LEDs instead of the relatively bulky CCFL tubes. In fact, traditional LCD TVs are no longer manufactured and all modern LCD TVs use LED backlighting.
To be honest, OLED is the superior choice. Unlike LCDs, which rely on liquid crystals to block, bend the light emitted from the backlight and form an image, every single pixel in an OLED panel is a light source.
LCD issues, such as color saturation and poor accuracy, narrow viewing angles, etc.
QLED, Nano Cell and Quantum Dot
Samsung’s QLED technologies and LG’s Cell Nano are different names given to implement Quantum Dot (quantum dot) technology. Conventional LCDs (or LED backlight LCDs) use white backlighting to reproduce images. It is not completely white and contains color impurities, which makes it impossible to reproduce colors accurately and the wider color gamut.
All Quantum Dot panels do is replace the white backlight with blue and add (essentially) a plastic sheet of uniformly sized nanoparticles, emitting red and green when triggered. like by the blue backlight. This helps achieve purer white light and improves the color gamut, accuracy and saturation of LCD TVs.
In short, you should choose an OLED TV instead of spending a lot of money on expensive LCD TVs.
Other factors to consider
Now, you will decide exactly what suits your specific home theater setup. Many additional factors must be considered. Here are some general tips and guidelines that are best followed while purchasing monitors for home theater setup.
- Select the screen with HDR certification: HDR-capable TVs can not only display wider colors, but also provide better overall picture fidelity.
- Never mind the 8K TV: Currently, there is virtually no content for that resolution. Not only that, both flat-screen TVs and projectors look terrible when displaying images at such high resolution.
- Ensure the monitor comes with at least 4 HDMI ports, has HDCP 2.2 DRM compatibility and at least supports HDMI 2.0. However, it is better to buy a TV that supports HDMI 2.1 for future use.
- If you plan on connecting a gaming console or PC to your home theater setup, make sure you Choose a monitor that supports high refresh rates (120Hz and above).
- Display latency is the most important factor to be able to use the monitor for gaming. Most TVs have a display lag that is not suitable for gaming. Please note this issue if you plan to play games on home theater setup.
- Do not try to assess the image quality in galleries: All TVs have color, contrast, brightness, sharpness, noise reduction and other picture settings adjusted to match the lighting conditions of the showroom bright. But do not rely on these factors but instead refer to reviews from reputable sites.
Keep in mind these suggestions and find a product you like!