DJI has announced the Mavic Mini, an ultra-lightweight folding drone that weighs just 249 grams.
Mavic Mini builds on the fundamental principles of the DJI’s series of folding Mavic drones; to build professional-quality drones features with the lightest possible frame. With its small size and weight, Mavic Mini falls into the safest drone category, which in many areas exempts it from regulations that apply to other, heavier drones. This means that anyone is allowed to fly the Mavic Mini in countries like the U.S. or Canada without any paperwork.
- 12MP/2.7K Quad HD 3-Axis Gimbal Camera
- Up to 30 Minutes of Flight Time
- Stream HD Video From up to 2.5 Miles
- Remote Controller Included
Camera & Video Capabilities
The Mavic Mini features a 3-axis gimbal-stabilized camera and a 1/2.3-inch F2.8 sensor camera with a 24mm lens (35 mm Format Equivalent). It can shoot up to 2.7K video at 30 frames per second, 1080p at 60 frames per second, or take 12-megapixel photographs.
The Mavic Mini only shoots:
- 2.7 K: 2720×1530 25/30 p
- FHD: 1920×1080 25/30/50/60p
The maximum bitrate is only 40 Mbps and it is recorded in MP4 (H.264/MPEG-4 AVC).
Just like other DJI drones, the Mavic Mini features a host of creative QuickShots. The QuickShot modes are:
- Rocket – Mavic Mini flies straight up into the air with the camera pointing downward following your subject. Set a height limit of 40, 60, 80, 100, or 120 feet.
- Circle – Mavic Mini will circle around your subject at a constant altitude and distance.
- Dronie – Mavic Mini flies backward and upward, with the camera tracking your subject. Set a height limit of 40, 60, 80, 100, or 120 feet.
- Helix – Mavic Mini flies upward and away, spiraling around your subject. Set a height limit of 40, 60, 80, 100, or 120 feet.
New pilots can choose to fly in Position (P) mode for basic operation, more experienced pilots can unlock more capabilities in Sport (S) mode, and content creators can choose CineSmooth (C) mode to lengthen braking time for smoother shots
Battery Life & Flight Time
Despite its small size, the Mavic Mini can fly for up to 30 minutes on a fully charged battery.
The Mavic Mini includes several safety features and it is equipped with a prop guard on each of its four propellers. The drone also incorporates DJI’s renowned safety technology, including geofencing to help drone pilots avoid restricted areas; AeroScope remote identification to help protect sensitive locations; built-in altitude limits; and automatic return to the launch point if the drone loses connection to the controller or reaches critically low battery level.
There is also a downward vision system and onboard GPS sensor. The DJI Fly app also provides an interactive tutorial mode that will help teach new pilots.
“To design a drone as lightweight, compact yet capable as Mavic Mini was one of the most challenging projects we’ve ever tackled at DJI. Distilling top-of-the-line features into a palm-of-your-hand drone is the culmination of years of work, and we are ecstatic to bring a new class of drone to the DJI lineup. Mavic Mini’s long flight time, ultra-light weight and high-quality camera makes it DJI’s everyday drone – and most importantly, it’s easy to fly, no matter your experience level with drones.”
Roger Luo, President, DJI
Mavic Mini is simple to operate and fly and it uses a dedicated remote controller. A Wi-Fi transmission signal delivers stable control and an HD live feed for a clear, confident flying experience.
Customers can choose from options including:
- 360° Propeller Guard: Provides a 360° guard for added safety.
- Charging Base: Charge and display Mavic Mini with this unique, illuminated station.
- Propeller Holder: Travel easier with Mavic Mini with the propeller holder that locks the props into place.
- DIY Creative Kit: Personalize your Mavic Mini with custom stickers or draw your own design.
- Snap Adapter: Attach a toy building brick or a mini LED display to Mavic Mini to write custom messages.
- Mini Travel Bag: Bring Mavic Mini everywhere with the custom bag that fits Mavic Mini and the controller perfectly.
- Two Way Charging Hub: Charge up to three Mavic Mini batteries or use the charging hub as a power bank.
Detailed information on these accessories can be found here: www.dji.com/mavic-mini
- Takeoff Weight: 249 g / 199 g (JP)
Folded: 140×82×57 mm (L×W×H)
Unfolded: 160×202×55 mm (L×W×H)
Unfolded (with propellers): 245×290×55 mm (L×W×H)
- Diagonal Distance: 213 mm
- Max Ascent Speed:
4 m/s (S Mode)
2 m/s (P Mode)
1.5 m/s (C Mode)
- Max Descent Speed:
3 m/s (S Mode)
1.8 m/s (P Mode)
1 m/s (C Mode)
- Max Speed (near sea level, no wind):
13 m/s (S Mode)
8 m/s (P Mode)
4 m/s (C Mode)
- Max Service Ceiling Above Sea Level: 3000 m
- Max Flight Time:
30 minutes (measured while flying at 14 kph in windless conditions)
18 minutes for JP (measured while flying at 12 kph in windless conditions)
- Max Wind Speed Resistance: m/s (Scale 4)
- Max Tilt Angle:
30° (S Mode)
20° (P Mode)
20° (C Mode)
- Max Angular Velocity:
150°/s (S Mode)
130°/s (P Mode)
30°/s (C Mode)
- Operating Temperature Range: 0° to 40°C (32° to 104°F)
- Operating Frequency:
Model MT1SS5: 5.725-5.850 GHz
Model MT1SD25: 2.400-2.4835 GHz, 5.725-5.850 GHz
- Transmission Power (EIRP):
5.8 GHz: <30 dBm (FCC); <28 dBm (SRRC) Model MT1SD25 2.4 GHz: <19 dBm (MIC/CE) 5.8 GHz: <14 dBm (CE) GNSS GPS+GLONASS
- Hovering Accuracy Range Vertical: ±0.1 m (with Vision Positioning), ±0.5 m (with GPS Positioning) Horizontal: ±0.1 m (with Vision Positioning), ±1.5 m (with GPS Positioning)
- Gimbal Mechanical Range Tilt: -110° to 35° Roll: -35° to 35° Pan: -20° to 20°
- Controllable Range Tilt: -90° to 0° (default setting) -90° to +20° (extended) Stabilization 3-axis (tilt, roll, pan)
- Max Control Speed (tilt) 120°/s Angular Vibration Range ±0.01° Sensing System
- Downward Operating Range: 0.5-10 m Operating Environment Non-reflective, discernable surfaces Diffuse reflectivity (>20%)
- Adequate lighting (lux>15)
- Camera Sensor: 1/2.3” CMOS
- Effective Pixels: 12 MP
- Lens: FOV: 83°
- 35 mm Format Equivalent: 24 mm
- Aperture: f/2.8
- Shooting Range: 1 m to ∞
- ISO Range:
Video: 100-3200 (Auto)
Photo: 100-1600 (Auto), 100-3200 (Manual)
- Shutter Speed Electronic Shutter: 4-1/8000s
- Still Image Size:
- Still Photography Modes: Single shot, Interval: 2/3/5/7/10/15/20/30/60 s
- Video Resolution:
2.7 K: 2720×1530 25/30 p
FHD: 1920×1080 25/30/50/60p
- Max Video Bitrate: 40 Mbps
- Supported File System
- Photo Format: JPEG
- Video Format: MP4 (H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
- Remote Controller & Video Transmission
Model MR1SS5: 5.725-5.850 GHz
Model MR1SD25: 2.400-2.4835 GHz, 5.725-5.850 GHz
- Max Transmission Distance (unobstructed, free of interference)
5.8 GHz: 4000 m (FCC); 2500 m (SRRC)
2.4 GHz: 2000 m (MIC/CE)
5.8 GHz: 500 m (CE)
- Operating Temperature Range
0° to 40°C (32° to 104°F)
- Transmission Power (EIRP)
5.8 GHz: <30 dBm (FCC); <28 dBm (SRRC)
2.4 GHz: <19 dBm (MIC/CE)
5.8 GHz: <14 dBm (CE)
- Battery Capacity: 2600 mAh
- Operating Current/Voltage
1200 mA 3.6 V (Android)
700 mA 3.6 V (iOS)
- Supported Mobile Device Size:
Max length: 160 mm
Max thickness: 6.5-8.5 mm
- Supported USB Port Types:
Lightning, Micro USB (Type-B), USB-C (Type-C)
- Video Transmission System:
Live View Quality
Latency (depending on environmental conditions and mobile device)
Price & Availability
Mavic Mini will be available for pre-order beginning October 30. According to B&H shipping won’t begin till Mon Nov 11th.
Mavic Mini will come in two purchase options, the standard version which includes Mavic Mini, remote controller, one battery, extra propellers and all necessary tools and wires for $399 USD. Or the Mavic Mini Fly More Combo which includes all of the components from the standard version with the addition of the 360° Propeller Cage, Two-Way charging Hub, three batteries in total, three sets of extra propellers and a carrying case for the price of $499 USD.
Matthew Allard ACS